Cedar Island Homeowners’ Association
April 3, 2014 - Meeting Minutes
Meeting called to order at 6:40 p.m. at Susan and Chris Ralko’s home. Present were Maureen Thomas—President, Kelly House—Vice President, Susan Ralko – Treasurer, Board Members Valerie Brothers & Dave Weber and CIHA Members Renee Brodie, Sherry Woodbeck and Sue & Tim Puchalsky.
We are making a big push to get everyone to pay their dues in the next 30 days. If you have paid your dues, thank you. If not, send your check for $50 payable to Susan Ralko at 592 Burgess. The attached Financial Statement includes the 2014 budget as approved.
Updates Since Last Meeting
• Snow Removal – folks were generally happy with the service especially considering this was the contractor’s first year and we had an enormous amount of snow.
• Letter to Non Dues Payers – there is a small group of members who have not paid their dues in several years. The Board sent them a letter encouraging them to pay their dues and offering to meet with them to discuss any concerns. It is not fair to those who pay their dues every year to subsidize folks who do not pay.
• Goose Nest Removal – we obtained a new 5 year resolution from White Lake Township permitting us to apply to the DNR/USDA for a nest removal permit. If you have a goose nest on your property please send an email to email@example.com and those who have been trained by the DNR/USDA will remove it once we receive the permit. The eggs should not be removed until they are warm or the geese will simply lay more eggs in the existing nest or elsewhere on the lake. We are not planning to do the Goose Round Up this year as the USDA releases the birds in Monroe which is too close to ensure they will not return.
• Directory – the Directory has been distributed to everyone except snowbirds who will receive a copy in May. We made a profit of $476 on the ads. Thank you to Steve Cooper, Maureen Thomas, Sherry Woodbeck, Renee Brodie & Laura LaRosa for selling ads and to Maureen Thomas for layout and editing. We have received many compliments on the photos! PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR ADVERTIZERS. Tell them you saw their Directory ad.
• Good Guys List – we will be circulating the Lake Sherwood Good Guys List (local contractors you recommend) via email later this month. If you have feedback on any contractors listed (good or bad) or wish to add contractors, please let us know. Thanks to Jennifer McDowell for this idea and for agreeing to update the list with your feedback. Once complete, we will email and post on our website.
• Bonfire & Skate – this first time event was a success. Thanks again to those who helped organize it. Their names were published in a prior email. No cost was incurred for this event. The Pond Hockey event did not occur due to weather/ice conditions. We will try again next winter. Thanks to Steve Racinski for suggesting this event.
• Virtual Lake Sale—Ads are due May 1st. $5 for a few lines of text or $10 for a flyer (2 page limit). Email your ad to firstname.lastname@example.org. The For Sale email will be sent May 7th to overlap with our garage sale.
• Woodland Shores Entrance – the property across Oxbow Lake Road from our sub has been sold. A contractor has been hired to mow the lawn and clean up the entrance. It should be looking better soon.
• Lake Board – we are seeking other options to fund the DNR at the launch and/or the sheriff on the Lake.
• Holiday Bonfire – Thanks to Kelly House and her family for organizing the Holiday Bonfire. Folks who helped Kelly were recognized on the volunteer page of the Directory.
• Lawn & Landscape Bids – we obtained 5 bids. Our snow contractor Earth Concepts had the lowest bid (by far) for lawn mowing and mulch placement so we will give his team a try this year. Linda Tolman is back taking care of all of the plant beds. We decided not to do the weed & feed this year to save money for other projects.
• No Solicitation Sign - We will be replacing the No Solicitation sign at the entrance as a sign is required to enforce the Township No Solicitation Ordinance. Once the sign has been replaced we will notify you. Until then it is legal for folks to solicit in our subdivision.
• Park Benches – The approved budget includes funds to purchase two new benches for the pergola area in the park. We are buying benches that convert into a picnic table. The benches will be secured to the pergola to prevent theft, but we will use a lock system so that we can move them for special events. The existing park bench will be painted and moved closer to Burgess under the two maple trees so it can be used by folks walking in the sub or watching activities on the ball field.
• Tree Planting – we will not be doing any tree planting this year. Folks who live on the Burgess Cul De Sac wish to maintain and open area between the trees for kids to play.
• Potholes – if there are potholes on your street or on Oxbow Lake Road near the entrance please report them to the Oakland County Road Commission at 877 858 4804.
• Easter Egg Hunt - Saturday April 19 @ 10:30 in the Park. The Easter Bunny will there and will pose for photos with your kids and grandkids so bring your cameras.
• Park Clean Up – if your family uses the park and /or you attend events in the park please plan to join us for the Park Clean Up on Sunday April 27th @1p.m. We will be repairing and painting the fence and bench, cleaning up the grass and trimming along the fence line. We will also weed and edge the area around the swings and freshen up the playground mulch. If you are willing to pick up 2 yards of playground mulch that weekend, please contact Kelly House.
• Garage Sale – the subdivision garage sale will be held Thursday thru Saturday May 8-10 from 9 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. If you plan to hold a garage sale this year, please try to hold it this weekend. Ads will be placed on Craig’s List and elsewhere and a sign posted at the entrance. Watch for a future email to sign up for the map.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:30pm. Next CIHA meeting TBD in the Summer. Make sure to visit www.ciha.us